Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Bravo, Beanery


Say what you will about Starbucks, but you have to give them props for not bending to some overly religious group of bored losers, otherwise known as the Concerned Women for America (CWA). It appears the CWA have a problem with one of Starbucks cups featuring quotes by distinguished Americans.

The quote in question is as follows:
My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it for so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short. -Armistead Maupin

You see the CWA is concerned that be reading this quote you might be converted to homosexuality. For Christ sakes (sorry, I couldn't help myself) it a friggin' quote on a cup. When did America become such a hate-bed for anyone slightly different then what organizations like the CWA deem normal. This country was founded in pursuit of personal freedoms - you, me and the next guy. So I say go back to your bored, privileged life and stay out of mine. If you can't handle 41 beautiful words, you have bigger issues to deal with. Get a life.

P.S.- Thank you Starbucks for not removing the cups from circulation and issuing the statement, "diversity and treating people with dignity is one of the principles of our corporation." Bravo.

No comments: