Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Let Them Eat Cake


So I finally got around to seeing Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette last night, while I cannot say that I'm gushing over the film - the visuals are truly inspiring. This candy-coated confection succeeds on so many levels; it's hard to be too negative about it. The cinematography and editing is sublime, the costumes are rich and ooze an extreme level of taste and refinement and Kirsten Dunst is once again spellbinding on screen.

I just didn’t love the film and had a hard time following the ties many of the characters had to one another (not really sure of Molly Shannon’s character’s relationship to the royal family – maybe on a second viewing.) Maybe, the film had too many characters and should have been reduced by a handful or so. I still believe Sofia is a talented director and will continue to bring visual treats to the screen for us to enjoy. Bon appetite!

No comments: