Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Book Smart


If you know me, it should come as no surprise that I love Chuck Palahniuk's books. His phrasing and sharp wit are to die for. I also love how ravenous his fans are. Going to one of his book readings/signing is almost like attending a rock concert with Chuck as your charismatic lead singer.

I'm also amazed that even after he came out (beating a reporter to the punch), his straight fan base was pretty much unfazed, yet he didn't develop a cult following among more gay readers. However, maybe that's just the point -- good art should transcend gender, sexual orientation, race or creed. I for one taped into the gay content of his writing, while at the same time could see perfectly well how some disillusioned straight boy might never notice. With that I would like to thank Chuck for the hours of entertainment his writing has brought to me and cannot wait for the next literary masterpiece to surface.

No comments: